Monday, April 18, 2011

Blog #12: RIP & Lessig, working together to create a hybrid future.

1. Both RIP and Remix discuss Creative Commons. In Remix, Lessig says  the CC licenses an artist to say "take and share my work freely. Let it become part of the sharing economy. But if you want to carry this work over to the commercial economy, you must ask me first. Depending upon the offer, I may or may not say yes." and in RIP, they say "Creative Commons was born to set culture free - a license that says I as a musician, give you the right to sample my work, take and build, create and remix." So, obviously both are saying that Creative Commons is instrumental in convincing people that a shared economy is the way to go. CC gives artists the opportunity to allow for freedom of creativity while maintaining that they will still get what they want - credit given where credit is due. Both the movie and the book seem to agree that Creative Commons has done wonders for the copyright laws of today.

2. In RIP, they say "communities are being created by technology that is being made available." Lessig talks about this in his discussion of 'community spaces, collaboration spaces, and communities.' These two ideas are basically saying that technology has created a whole new outlet for people to go, it has created communities for people to gather in the universal space of the internet. A place where people can meet up from 5000 miles away at any time of day. 

3. Finally, both talk about the economy of things vs. the economy of ideas. Or also commercial economy vs. shared economy. I like how the movie calls it economies of 'things vs. ideas' because it makes it much more obvious. A commercial economy is based off of things, you trade things for things of the same value. Whereas a shared economy runs on the exchange of ideas. It makes me think of this quote, "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples, then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an ideas and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas" (George Bernard Shaw). For me, that quote perfectly sums up the difference between commercial and shared economies.

Another interesting point I found that both the book and movie brought up was the idea of quoting and how that is, in essence, the same and sampling a song. Using a small part of something to make a larger point. It makes so much sense, and I feel like that is crucial to deciding what makes a good remix or not. 

2 comments:

  1. That quote from George Bernard Shaw was a really great quote to include in your post. I agree that it sums up the differences between the two economies well, it makes the differences between them a little clearer and easier to grasp, so thanks for sharing! Also, when you said "technology has created a whole new outlet for people to go, it has created communities for people to gather in the universal space of the internet," that really stuck out to me. I think you're totally right and I think those communities are part of what has made the internet such a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talk about the quotes. It really is basically how I explain this to my friends when speaking about remixing and sampling.

    ReplyDelete